Sunday, 28 April 2013

Freestyle machine embroidery

Greetings friends. I've been as busy as a bee since I last popped in to say hello. My sewing room has been a hive of activity whilst I created little bags and pencil cases to pop into a new Etsy shop I opened recently. What better way to cheer up dull wet days than working with brightly coloured fabrics!


I've always loved freestyle machine embroidery and use my trusty 'vintage' Bernina exclusively for painting pictures with stitches. Once the picture is complete I use my 'modern' Elna to construct the item. Using two machines in this way means no time is wasted changing settings, lowering and raising feed-dogs etc.


This little elephant was inspired by a tiny button I have in my stash! The tail is made from twisted yarn.


I always love using this toadstool fabric and having been searching for a little someone to put with it. 


One evening, whilst I was doodling, this little gnome popped up. Of course he insisted on catching a goldfish in the garden pond!


Although I love the toadstool fabric, I love Liberty Lawn even more and usually return to my cheerful little dolly girls when using it as they always pose obligingly. This one as you can see is gathering flowers.


And here is another little cutie. These small pouches are just large enough to hold a few essentials such as phone, keys, credit card etc. 


Nineteen different Liberty Lawn florals have been used for this needle case.


Most of the fabric contains red or dark pink (including dolly girl's dress).




The contrasting lining is covered with tiny blue flowers.



I have more stitching to complete today and one or two more pieces to pop into the shop. I've named the shop Flutterby Stitch

I hope you are all having an enjoyable weekend wherever you are and whatever you are doing.

Until next time x

7 comments:

  1. Your latest designs are lovely and I hope your Etsy shop does well for you. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are the dearest things!! I've not tried free hand yet.....it's on my list!!!! I need at least 12 more hours a day...I love your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have (as always) hit the nail on the button. What gorgeous little pouches. I envy you being able to machine embroider. My trusty Bernina sewing machine is now 40 years old this year and I think the embroidery facility is limited. However, maybe time to get out the old manual!!

    Lovely to see Liberty Lawn. I had a small amount of lavender left from last year's harvest and made two Liberty Lawn hearts two evenings ago. There is really nothing to beat the texture. Almost like silk and yet without the slippery-ness. Good Luck with Fluttery Stitch. Will be over the check it out later.

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend Eli. Big hug from a cool but dry Dublin, Carol :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your latest makes but have to say my favourite has to be that little gnome....he is adorable.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eli, Responding to your message on my blog. It is a Minimatic - red plastic carrying case. Present from my father when I was in art college in London (only v briefly I hasten to add). It was expensive at the time and the man in the shop said that Bernina are the Rolls Royce of sewing machines. It has only been serviced twice in 40 years (I know, I know). Your story has made me realise it may be time for another service. You have certainly made me curious about freestyle embroidery. Never thought it would work. When I have time I will give it a go. Lovely to know that we are Mimimatic buddies. I will think of you now every time I use it.
    Big hug to you, Carol :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. çok güzel çok beğendim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these are gorgeous...simply scrumptious....
    bestest to you today
    daisy j x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping in and taking the time to write a few words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...